Sunday, August 1, 2010

Doors & Windows 2

Here are more photos of doors & windows taken on my afternoon in St. Antonin. As you probably know by now, I have a love for things humble, much more so than for things grand.




But I am also, always drawn to the mysterious. There is something so appealing to me about these old, once stately mansions, now standing derelict & unused.




Some of the old dwellings in St. Antonin have been modernized & restored to the point of losing their ancient charm. They have, however, become efficient homes for their owners.




I always prefer when much of the original facade is left in tact & when the colors wear a natural patina.




In some cases modern doors & plate glass windows are added to the old facades, as below. But with the display of so many beautiful plants & flowers the modernization is not as jarring as it might be.




I have witnessed so many of these beautiful old structures lost to modernization that I almost feel it is my duty to preserve them, if only in photographs.




Because of course, I do understand how wonderful it is for an abandoned building, in the end, to become a cozy & well loved home.





Location:France

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed these pictures too.
    Sally, may I have your address, so I can write to you if its ok with you?

    ReplyDelete