Friday, March 1, 2013

Porches, Verandas, Piazzas

By whatever name you may call them, Charleston is a city of porches....


....or verandas


.....or piazzas, which is in fact the preferred term here in Charleston.


Wether grand or humble, it seems every home here in Charleston has a porch.


In my walks around the city I like to see what people have on their porches.


You see a lot of colorful bikes parked on porches.

  
Because, these piazzas or porches offer real out door living space, they are often furnished like another room of the house.


One thing is certain they all provide a comfortable place to relax. 


Some have curtains, lamps, & candelabras, as well as furnishings  for  outdoor seating & dinning.


While for others, a simple rocking chair is all that is needed.


 The one that brings back fond childhood memories for me, is the old fashion porch swing.


 I did not grow up in Charleston with its elegant piazzas & stately verandas, but I did grow up in the South, where sitting peacefully on a porch to enjoy the afternoon breeze was a treasured way of life.


You never know what you will find on a Charleston piazza, perhaps some freshly washed laundry for example, but what is undeniable is that the life of the porch lives on here in Charleston.

If you are interested in knowing more about the piazzas of Charleston here are a few links: 123 & 4

Enjoy your weekend everyone!

10 comments:

  1. I love the rocking chair with the porch! It's the image of the American wooden house that I like (in many movies, we can see it)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is something all American about rocking chairs on a porch, you are right.

      Delete
  2. Hi,Sally
    Those porches are pretty in color and design. The houses with porches quietly stand in peaceful ambience. I like it!
    Have a good day.
    Tomoko

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Tomoko, how nice of you to visit! Hope you are having a nice week too.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recently read a novel set in Charleston and it took me awhile to figure out that the author was referring to porches when he said piazzas. It's a treat to see such a wide variety shown here. I love porches...or verandas or piazzas or balconies...no matter what they're called.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am enjoying reading more about Charleston myself as well as novels set here. It does help to know some of the local vernacular. What were you reading, I am curious?
      Thanks for stoping by.

      Delete
  5. oh that must be great to spend the evening in a rocking chair on a piazza! warm greetings from Paris!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish we could trade just one afternoon relaxing on a piazza in Charleston for a leisurely walk in the Marais.

      Delete
  6. I love all types of porches. We're actually looking at a new house that has a very interesting verandah next week!

    ReplyDelete