Thursday, September 27, 2012

Piperade

With the huge profusion of colorful peppers in the market now it seems only natural to make piperade. This simple yet sumptuous dish is Spanish in origin, coming from the Basque region, which is not far from where I am in south west France.




You can choose from any number of varieties of multicolored peppers. The main thing is to have a lot of them, the more different textures & colors the better.



I like to add at least one hot pepper to the mix but that is completely optional.


Slice & sauté your peppers in a large sauté pan over medium heat.


Add chopped garlic to taste, for me the more garlic the better. Sauté garlic with peppers & then add peeled & diced tomatoes. Again the quantities are according to taste & what you have on hand. I would say about as many tomatoes as peppers. Canned tomatoes may also be substituted for fresh.


Simmer until your tomatoes have softened into a velvety rich sauce. Then add a large handful of chopper parsley, stir & serve. There are many different variations of piperade. Some recipes add eggs to the mixture to give it an even richer consistency.



Piperade is often served as a side dish to accompany Basque chicken & rice. Or it can be eaten simply as is, as a light lunch or dinner served with plenty of crusty country bread to soak up all of that lovely sauce. Add a green salad & to me you have a perfect colorful autumn meal.



3 comments:

  1. Love the colors in this meal, and it could not have come at a better time since I have a bag of peppers and a bag of tomatoes sitting on my counter. Only problem is that I don't like peppers. I bet if I cook it, Earl will eat it and I can pass some on to the neighbors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yummie, i like peppers, still have some in the garden and greenhouse, i often make a dish similar to this one, beautiful pics Sally, x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a cheerful shopping with variety peppers. I like to think of you choosing peppers from them with a red cute basket! I like peppers too!
    Have a good day!
    Tomoko

    ReplyDelete