Sunday, July 25, 2010

Signs

I love French signs. From the classic blue enamel street signs, to conventional advertising, & the faded remnants of the past, I love them all.




Below you have an early 19th century advert painted on the side of a building, where a typical modern, real-estate "for sale" sign is now hung.




Because the French learn to read & write in cursive before they learn to print you will often find signs written in their beautiful French script.




Some signs need no words at all, as the examples below.





One is either curious about what is within, or knows immediately what to expect.




My favorite of all the old faded signs would have to be this one, now barley visible.




It was, as you can see from the plaque below, an 18 th century auberge called
" Au lion d' or ".




To me these remnants of the past are so beautiful. Sadly, they are in danger of disappearing forever.

Location:France

4 comments:

  1. I really love all your photos. It makes me feel like I am there with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your series of sighns, just as much as a prior post of doorways and windows it shows the beautifull architecture of times past I look forward to more photos .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful pictures, it makes me want to go there exploring the area and country..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all so much for your kind comments. I am never sure if others will find these simple things as beautiful & interesting as I do. I really appreciate your following my travels. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete