Tuesday, May 22, 2012

a day in NY continued...


It was a beautiful day & after my visit to the Guggenheim,  I strolled along 5th Ave., beside Central Park headed to the

This section of 5th Ave., running from 82nd to 105th Streets, is known 
as museum mile, because
 it contains one of the densest displays of culture in the world. 
There are ten museums in all at present count.

 




At the Metropolitan I saw

Febuary 28- June 3 2012.

Gertrude Stein & her brothers Leo & Michael were major patrons of modern art in Paris at the beginning of the twentieth century. Together they amassed a vast collection of important of paintings, including works by Matisse, Picasso, Cézanne, Degas, Gauguin, & many others. This exhibit reunites over two hundred of these works, & examines the relationship between the Stein family & the artists of their time.






My Favorite part of this exhibit was seeing the blown up photographs of Gertrude Stein's Paris apartment, with so many of the same paintings on the walls. 


After a long & culturally inspiring day, it was time to board  the bus back to Boston. I was home & in my bed by midnight.

3 comments:

  1. Well I have to say I am jealous!! That sounds like an exceptional day. I miss all those museums in that span. I need to make a trip! Happy you had a great day, Sally.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, liza, wish you had come along for the adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a lovely trip !

    ReplyDelete