Friday, May 20, 2011

Window With a View

The Metropolitan Museum of Art has an exhibition entitled Rooms with a View: The Open Window in the 19th CenturyThis exhibit focuses on the Romantic motif of  open windows & the view seen from within. The idea of this show appeals to me, as does the idea of painting a scene as viewed through a window. Below is an attempt, I made quite some time ago, of painting the view from my studio window in France.


The exhibition at the Met focuses on the early artists that originated the popularity of this motif. It features some thirty oils and thirty works on paper by German, Danish, French, and Russian artists from around 1810–20. I would have to say that my favorite artist to glorify this genre, would have to be Pierre Bonnard. I love Bonnard as an artist & especially love his window scenes of which he has many.




How can one not love his colors! Bonnard's paintings make me wish I were there, in these rooms, looking out of these windows. 

It will not be long now, until I will again be looking out of my studio window. Perhaps this will be an inspiration for me to attempt another painting of my most treasured view.

9 comments:

  1. Thank you for your lovely comment.
    Wow, how exciting, a new chapter in your life!
    I love your painting and the muted colours you have used.
    Good luck with the move ... I now need to read further back on your blog.

    Have a lovely weekend.
    xMarina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the paintings of window views. Another favorite of mine is paintings of front porches. You've inspired me. Maybe I'll post another photo of the view out my window.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bonnard is one of my very favorite painters. I have several books of his works, have viewed them in museums, and I'm sorry I missed this exhibit when I was in NYC this week. But how he would have loved YOUR Painting! It's really so marvelous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you, window with view, if there is such nice view, I would love to sit there and just enjoy the view and have a cup of coffee...probably sit there for hours.
    I am looking forward to see YOUR painting too next time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful, wonderful colors - makes me smile. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the painting of his wife in the bath and I have tried to get it for years one day! Looking forward to your painting x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Truly love your painting!!! Bonnard's are okay, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello,Sally.
    Your painting is very lovely! It is first time for me to know the painter Bonnard. The painter will be in my favorite lists. I love window scenes too. I try to take photos through the window from my living room. It is surprising to see that the view is quite different every time.
    I am glad to join you now.
    I was spending my time in my bed for a week because of my chronic disease asthma! How boring that time was! I am recovering, and enjoy your painting! Thank you, Sally.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your painting!Also the colors you use there.Because the soft atmosphere it's romantic for me.

    ReplyDelete