Friday, March 5, 2010

Winter fantasy & an invitation in Paris




Yesterday I spent most of the day on the internet searching for budget airfares & hotels in Paris, in order to indulge a winter fantasy. I did find some sweet hotel deals but prices for flights were exorbitant. You see, I recently received an email from a former teacher, Antonina Alupi, inviting me to a vernissage in Paris. This preview commences the opening of an exhibition honoring Anonina’s father, Cålin Alupi, a renowned Romanian post-impressionist painter. The exhibit will be held in the Mairie of the Vème Arrondissment, a prestigious building situated just across from the Pantheon. It will feature about 100 works, owned by Romanian museums and various private collections. In the past few years the government of Romania has honored Alupi with retrospectives in his native country, from which The Calin Alupi Reference Book was compiled by his grandson, Nicolas Petrescu- Alupi. Now Paris, with the patronage of the Romanian Embassy in France, bestows a similar honor in the city that became Alupi’s adopted home. For this occasion a 44 page Beaux-Arts magazine "Hors Série" album has been published.

The invitation that I received read as follows:

We would be very honored if you could join us for the opening, on:



Tuesday March 9, 2010, from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m.

The Exhibition will be open until March 27, 2010.

Address :

Mairie du Vème arrondissement, Salle des fêtes

21, place du Panthéon

75005 Paris - France

How I would love to go. It would indeed be my honor to attend. But my fantasy did not stop there, it also included my grand daughter, Emily. She & her two siblings, Jack & Gracie, attend a French immersion school in Milton, Ma. They speak French beautifully & it has always been my desire to someday take each of them to France. Emily, the oldest, would be the first & what better opportunity than this. Knowing that she had a vacation in March, I phoned her mother to see if the dates coincided. They did not. Alas, I was forced to accept that all of this had just been part of a beautiful winter fantasy. As much as I would have loved to be a part of this amazing celebration it is not meant to be. However, although I will not make it in person I will indeed be there in spirit. Félicitation Antonina et Nicolas et bonne fête! Merci de m'inviter.

No comments:

Post a Comment